Do you have the same participants coming back for multiple sessions within a single study? Turning on Multi-Session Mode (MSM for short) can help from scheduling >> calendar. Beware it can get pretty tricky, because you can set rules about which follow up times are available based on what time a session is. Let's start with some big common gotchas:
- Gotcha #1: Manually schedule won't work. Since the point of this mode is to restrict which session a participant is approved to schedule, you can't move them around between sessions in manually schedule mode. That means if they Completed Session #1, you can't manually schedule them for Session #2. You would need to invite them to session #2, and then they can pick a time anyway, so hopefully that negates the whole need for manually scheduling.
- Gotcha #2: Invite Previous won't work. Similar to above, MSM adds a whole bunch of complexity to which times someone is allowed to pick, which means you can't invite them to pick a new time if they have completed a session but are not invited to another session
- Gotcha #3: Calendar Invites only support 1:1 sessions. So group and backup sessions cannot have different calendar invites for 1st session vs subsequent sessions like 1:1 interviews.
For example, if you have a session with one participant at 9am on Tuesday, and you want them to come back for a 2nd session, BUT you need a minimum of two days between sessions, you can set that option, and then when they get invited back automatically, they will only see times that match that rule. Confusing, right? It should save you tons of time sorting through participants, and check out the workflow below.
- Turn on Multi-Session Mode (MSM) and make sure to set any options.
- Define which session is on which day. You can also leave each session open to any session number.
- Check Next Session Invite Email & Calendar Invite. Make sure our language under scheduling >> emails for the "subsequent session" invite works for your study needs. It's not bad out of the box, but at least double-check.
- Review & Pay (You don't have to pay AND invite). You'll notice when Multi Session Mode is on, there is a "Review & Pay" at the top of your screen. Click Review & Pay >> Pay Completed Recipients to review participants and choose either to invite participants to the next session, dismiss, or pay them in the flow.
Please keep in mind the "dismissed" or "invited to session X" status will show up everywhere in Ethnio (Responses / Pool).
- Participant Picks the Next Session Time
If you've pre-defined each open interview spot to be a specific session #, which we recommend, then your participant who has been invited to pick a time for their next session will only see the session #2 times, or whatever session they've been invited to:
Keep in mind, for subsequent sessions, participants are confirmed immediately and can only pick one time, because they are already qualified. There's no need to hassle them with yet another confirmation step. You'll also be notified with a scheduling alert email that includes their new session number: